So since the Cambodian adventure, and the inception of this blog, I have found myself consistently dictating the retelling of all of my adventures and wonderments, in my head. So I thought I might continue to write them down, and if you'd like to read along, that'd be lovely.
I am, at the moment, in St. John's, NL. I have officially put it on my list of favourite cities - it is astoundingly beautiful here. I am here with my dear friend, and former roommate Angie.
Last night was the final night of the George St. Festival (for anyone who is unaware of the wonder that is George St., it boasts the title of most bars per square foot in the country, possibly even in North America) After watching the live bands and standing with hundreds of people singing along to East Coast tunes, we went down to Christian's bar, for an official Screech In. In a cramped sweaty bar above George St, a local dressed in fisherman's getup taught us Newfie words, songs and the phrase we had to repeat to be screeched in. Traditionally there'd be a scoff and scuff - food and dance - all the fixings of a proper kitchen party, but we had some meat, and chanted along to Come and I Will Sing You, before kneeling for the next part of the ceremony.
Yes, we kissed a cod. It was huge and frozen and smelly, but we all did it! Then we drank a shot of what I heard was Jamieson, and we were done. Certificates and everything!
Today was a brilliant day in St. John's. Incredible weather, 23 degrees, with a breeze off the water. It was also Regatta Day - where everyone gets the day off (save some working in tourist shops) to go to the Regatta on Quidi Vidi Lake. There are carnival games, jumping castles and food stalls stretching around almost the entire perimeter of the lake and lots of the games and raffles go to charities! Lion's Clubs, Rotaries, Autism and Diabetes Associations - everything!
Then, we walked to Signal Hill. We took the road up, the paved way, and took the path along the water on the way down. It's quite a trek and commands an amazing 360 view of the city. We could even see the crowds at the Regatta. There's the tower, with displays on Marconi's experiments and successes and lots of info chronicling the shifting ownership of the land from British to France and back again. The surrounding land is impressive, rolling and green and rocky with untamed purple and yellow flowers.
Now we're grabbing some dinner - I have leftover stirfry from the veggie restaurant, The Sprout - and then heading to The Rooms, the new building with a museum and the archives, that's free this evening!
Now that there's finally internet, I hope to be able to write again before we head out on Friday to the other parts of the island. Friday morning we get a car, and will be off to Gros Morne National Park!
Till then, long may your big jib draw!
Glad to hear you are having a great time. You are coming back right? Also say hello that Angie person you are traveling with. I hear she's A-okay.
ReplyDelete